Thursday, May 29, 2014

Metal detecting Alabama: Finding Treasure in so many ways

MY FIRST TIME


     So, I had my first time out metal detecting, it was not a long time out, because it was going to rain, and it did, so I stayed close to home. I am not sporting a water proof model. Though, it did not make the experience any less sweet. 

     I went out with my step son, he wanted to dig the holes, bad idea from jump, but I tried to let him none the less. The first signal hit was reading fairly good, penny signal, as my step son dug flinging the dirt everywhere. Me telling him, "Son be easy, we have to fill our holes, its good etiquette." Shortly after the penny showed its face, though the rock hard dirt, it was a zinc penny, but I was so excited to know that my detector worked correctly.

     Next, we went to softer dirt in the back yard. I hit a mixed signal it was bouncing around, iron to penny. Being new to coil swinging, I dug, dug it out knowing, being new its the thing to do till I get better. My step sons hands were already hurting from that rock hard Alabama red clay, dried due to no rain.

      So taking the rains I started to dig again, seeing I had ease of pinpointing last time, without a hand held pointer. Up came and iron nail. I was excited, because it was cool I, Me of all people found something. 
But then I remembered, always double check your holes, so I grabbed the shaft of the detector, and swung the coil over the hole. That all to familiar coin sound off of the Garret popped.

     So I poked around a lightly with the tip of the Garden spade I was using. It tapped something. Low and behold my own personal gold. Dark dingy and old, A 1955 D Wheat penny. My excitement was off the chart. I love old coins. No matter the value, I have always loved treasure hunting. I thought to myself, "Why has it taken me so long to get a detector." 

     Not understanding the why? I know I am almost paycheck to paycheck, having to extreme coupon so we can make it. But why not before now, why not 14 years ago with my brother. But smiling, with dirty hand, I took my story piece, that old penny, back inside to clean it up.

     I told my wife, my father in law, I did a YouTube video. No one in my home besides me was as excited. But now that coin rests well in my collection of older coins. I either paid for, or got as change back at a gas station.

     This is by far the greatest hobby I ever decided to take up. Since then, I used a regular 19 dollar pair of Sony headset, a 1/4 to 3.5mm changer, and a 3.5 extension cord. To make my own 32 dollar pair of great cheap headsets for my Garrett.

     I made a video on that as well. The next day, I went out to test them. My first signal was, you guessed it. A wheat penny, but older, 1953 D, the excitement. Never having got this many wheat pennies back to back. I rarely come across them. Again it started to rain, after such a long time, and I headed back in, only getting 10 minutes to test. Though, ready to go running back out. Soon the beach front will be before me, to detect on.

     Now I know your thinking, how is it, living paycheck to paycheck, how did I afford the beach, advanced reservations with my tax return, getting my stay of a week, at half the usual season cost. Sadly I expected the tax money to last longer. But we all know when you try to get ahead, your house breaks something that needs replacing, and its never something cheap and easy. That and making sure my kids had everything they needed, and a few things they wanted.

     I do the best I can with what I have, like most people do. My youngest excels at violin, so some tax money when to get him his own, over borrowing a schools one. To see his smile made it all worth it.

Maybe with metal detecting, ill find those grand plus cost rings and jewelry, and help ease the financial tension. I know one thing, my metal detector, is my favorite thing, wish I had of started soon.

thanks for reading...

If you wish to donate, to keep the stories coming...


you can send PAYPAL donations to 

darthsector@gmail.com and as always thanks again.


No comments:

Post a Comment